Rats are a common household pest that can be incredibly intrusive. These large rodents eat almost constantly and can chew through wood, plastic and other materials, destroying your precious possessions. They’re also carriers of diseases and can contaminate food. Because of their large size and incessant chewing, rats can also cause a disturbance in your home that’s difficult to ignore.
One rat is bad enough, but once they’ve found entry points into your property, rats will soon come in droves and can breed quickly. The brown rat, the most common species found in the UK, has an average of 3 litters a year per female, with between 8 and 12 babies in each. The less common black rat often has a smaller litter of between 5 and 10 babies, but they have up to 6 litters per year.
As such, both species are prolific breeders and need to be dealt with promptly. If you believe you have rats on your property, then you need BH Pest Control’s expert rat removal service. We provide a complete service to eradicate rats and prevent further infestation by rat proofing your property so they don’t have easy access to your space.
Signs Of A Rat Infestation
It might be easy to spot that you have a rodent problem because these pests are noisy and leave larger droppings than smaller vermin. However, it is easy to confuse rats with squirrels if you haven’t seen them directly.
Some common signs of rats include:
- Rat Sightings: Spotting a rat scurrying around your home is the clearest possible sign that you have a rat problem. Rats are mostly nocturnal, but they can be seen during the day if they’re out and about or if you find them in their nests.
- Strange Noises: The sound of scurrying and gnawing could be a sign of a rat or another rodent issue. Rats are larger than other rodent pests, like mice, so their footsteps might be louder, but you may need to look out for other signs.
- Rat Droppings: Rat faeces are small pellets that look a bit like brown jelly beans. Rat droppings are usually found in a cluster together near food sources like bird baths or in roof spaces where they can use loft insulation to make comfortable nests.
- Bite Marks: Rat’s teeth grow constantly, so they have to chew to keep them from growing and to create access points into your home. They also like to chew food packaging and can remove even tight-fitting lids. So, if you see chew marks or an open food source that used to be closed, then this could be a sign that rats are in your home.
- Shredded Material: Rats use loft insulation and other soft materials, like blankets or clothes that have been left lying around, to create nests in your roof space or other solid structures, such as wall cavities. If you see signs that something has been tearing at your loft insulation, then there might be rats in your roof.
If you spot any of these signs, then you should get in touch with rat control experts as soon as possible. Even if you’re unsure about what pest you have in your home, you can reach out to us to get an identification and remove the vermin from your property.
What To Do If You Have A Rat Problem
As soon as you see any of these signs of rat activity, you should contact BH Pest Control straight away. Rats can damage property and spread diseases, so you need to act fast to get rid of rats from your home and garden.
In the UK, there are two types of rats that are commonly found: black rats and brown rats. Both rat species can cause serious issues to your home and need to be dealt with promptly by professional rat control experts like us.
One of the biggest challenges you’ll face is the destruction rats can cause. They often damage walls and roof tiles to gain access to your property, so they have somewhere warm to live. Because their teeth grow constantly, rats gnaw at wood, electrical wiring and other materials, which can cause structural damage to your home.
It’s also very noisy listening to rats chew on your possessions and run around, which can interrupt your sleep.
Through their urine, droppings and nesting materials, rats can also spread harmful bacteria and diseases, including Weil’s disease, Salmonella, Listeria and Hantavirus, among many others. So, they’re particularly dangerous to homeowners with young families or anyone with a compromised immune system.
Thankfully, there’s help available to control rats. Our team offers a comprehensive rat removal service and has served customers throughout Milton Keynes for many years. For more information on our rat control services, call 01908 412488 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commercial Rat Control In Milton Keynes
A rat infestation can have a major effect on your business. Rats spread disease and can be major health risks for companies, particularly those in the food or healthcare markets. If seen on your commercial premises by customers or members of the public, they can seriously damage your reputation and could lead to prosecution if you break health and safety laws.
As such, the second you see signs of rats on your commercial properties, you need to contact BH Pest Control. Our professional rat control service will ensure that your business is pest-free and safe for your staff and visitors. As well as responding to rat problems as you see them, we can also help you to deter rats in the long term by providing ongoing commercial contracts. Getting regular visits from a professional pest control expert can ensure that your property is safe and reduce the chances of an infestation taking hold.
Our team are members of the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) and trained by the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH), so you know you’re only getting the best service when you work with BH Pest Control. Businesses across Milton Keynes trust us to keep their properties safe and deal with their rat problems. Get a quick quote today to see how we can help you deal with your pest control problem quickly and efficiently.